You are here
Sunny Schools Learning Pack
Investigate climate change and energy.
Years: 3, 4, 5, 6
Curriculum Objectives: 15
Subjects: English, Geography, Maths, PSHE, Science
These practical and investigative resources, created by Solar Aid, encourage pupils to explore and discuss solar power in a hands-on way.
Sunny Schools tackles the issues of climate change and energy in schools, while bringing alive the science of renewables with a global dimension.
Activities are practical, investigaive and discursive, encouraged pupils to think for themselves and to follow their learning with positive action, leading to participation in a more sustainable school and community life.
Ideally the programme should run across a term of half-term, but equally could be condensed into a school's Green Week. Please visit Sunny Schools for more information.
- Articulate and justify answers, arguments and opinions.
- Listen and respond appropriately to adults and peers
- Maintain attention and participate actively in collaborative conversations.
- Speak audibly and fluently with an increasing command of Standard English.
- Year 3 and 4 (Age 7-9)
- Discuss and record ideas.
- Year 5 and 6 (Age 9-11)
- Ask questions to improve their understanding.
- Assess the effectiveness of their own and others’ writing.
- Note and develop initial ideas, drawing on reading and research where necessary.
- Locate the world’s countries, using maps to focus on Europe (including the location of Russia) and North and South America, concentrating on their environmental regions, key physical and human characteristics, countries, and major cities.
- Year 3 (Age 7-8)
- Measure, compare, add and subtract: lengths (m/cm/mm).
- Year 6 (Age 10-11)
- Interpret and construct pie charts and line graphs and use these to solve problems.
- Year 4 (Age 8-9)
- Construct a simple series electrical circuit, identifying and naming its basic parts, including cells, wires, bulbs, switches and buzzers.