You are here
Encourage pupils to investigate rainforest life...
Years: 3, 4, 5, 6
Curriculum Objectives: 18
Subjects: English, Geography, PSHE, Science
Encourage pupils to explore the rainforest, with these fantastic learning materials from the Young People’s Trust for the Environment. Children can investigate the plants, animals and people of the Amazon, finding out about adaptation and species classification along the way. Ideal for use during topic or general Science teachings, these resources will help pupils to understand why rainforests are so important to us all, as well as the threats they face, and what we can do to protect them.
- Articulate and justify answers, arguments and opinions.
- Ask relevant questions to extend their understanding and knowledge.
- Consider and evaluate different viewpoints, attending to and building on the contributions of others.
- Gain, maintain and monitor the interest of the listener(s).
- Give well-structured descriptions, explanations and narratives for different purposes.
- Listen and respond appropriately to adults and peers
- Maintain attention and participate actively in collaborative conversations.
- Participate in discussions, presentations, performances, role play, improvisations and debates.
- Select and use appropriate registers for effective communication.
- Speak audibly and fluently with an increasing command of Standard English.
- Use relevant strategies to build their vocabulary.
- Use spoken language to develop understanding through speculating, hypothesising, imagining and exploring ideas.
- Describe and understand key aspects of physical geography, including: climate zones, biomes and vegetation belts, rivers, mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes, and the water cycle.
- Use fieldwork to observe, measure, record and present the human and physical features in the local area using a range of methods, including sketch maps, plans and graphs, and digital technologies.
- Year 3 (Age 7-8)
- Explore the part that flowers play in the life cycle of flowering plants, including pollination, seed formation and seed dispersal.
- Explore the requirements of plants for life and growth (air, light, water, nutrients from soil, and room to grow) and how they vary from plant to plant.
- Year 5 (Age 9-10)
- Describe the life process of reproduction in some plants and animals.