You are here
Focus on Food: Literacy Upper KS2
Inspire your pupils to focus on food, and improve their writing skills at the same time!
Years: 5, 6
Curriculum Objectives: 8
Not only is cooking fun and a fantastic life skill, it’s an essential requirement of the new national curriculum for all primary school pupils.
These fantastic resources from Focus on Food show how elements of English can be delivered in a hands-on and engaging way, when linked with cooking activities. With a range of brilliant lesson ideas to aid different types of writing, from instructional recipes to persuasive articles and nutritional leaflets, these activities are a great way to spark children’s interest in food and develop writing skills at the same time.
Find out more at http://www.focusonfoodcookschool.co.uk/index.php
Photo © Focus on Food
- Participate in discussions, presentations, performances, role play, improvisations and debates.
- Year 5 and 6 (Age 9-11)
- Assess the effectiveness of their own and others’ writing.
- Continue to read and discuss an increasingly wide range of fiction, poetry, plays, non-fiction and reference books or textbooks.
- Identify the audience for and purpose of writing, selecting the appropriate form and using other similar writing as models.
- Increase familiarity with a wide range of books
- Make comparisons within and across books.
- Note and develop initial ideas, drawing on reading and research where necessary.
- Participate in discussions about books that are read to them and those they can read for themselves, building on their own and others’ ideas and challenge views courteously.