You are here
The Big Shift
Motivate your school to travel more actively.
Years: 3, 4, 5, 6
Curriculum Objectives: 17
Subjects: D&T, Geography, Maths, PE, PSHE, Science
Motivate your school community to travel more actively, with this fantastic online challenge from Sustrans! The Big Shift will create targets for each school, based on how children currently travel each day. Open to all schools in the UK, this free challenge is a great way to make a small step, big stride or giant leap towards increasing active travel, and to receive recognition for your achievements! As well as whole schools, individual classes and year groups can also take part, so it could be a great introduction to any topics relating to sustainability or eco-friendly travel. So why not take The Big Shift challenge, and make your school happier and healthier?
Schools in England, Northern Ireland and Scotland can register to take part at this address:
If you're based in Wales, register here instead:
- Describe and understand key aspects of physical geography, including: climate zones, biomes and vegetation belts, rivers, mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes, and the water cycle.
- Describe and understand key aspects of human geography, including: types of settlement and land use, economic activity including trade links, and the distribution of natural resources including energy, food, minerals and water.
- Use maps, atlases, globes and digital/computer mapping to locate countries and describe features studied.
- Use fieldwork to observe, measure, record and present the human and physical features in the local area using a range of methods, including sketch maps, plans and graphs, and digital technologies.
- Year 3 (Age 7-8)
- Estimate and read time with increasing accuracy to the nearest minute; record and compare time in terms of seconds, minutes and hours; use vocabulary such as o’clock, a.m./p.m., morning, afternoon, noon and midnight.
- Year 4 (Age 8-9)
- Interpret and present discrete and continuous data using appropriate graphical methods, including bar charts and time graphs.
- Measure and calculate the perimeter of a rectilinear figure (including squares) in centimetres and metres.
- Year 5 (Age 9-10)
- Measure and calculate the perimeter of composite rectilinear shapes in centimetres and metres.
- Solve problems involving converting between units of time.
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- Year 3 (Age 7-8)
- Notice that light is reflected from surfaces.
- Recognise that they need light in order to see things and that dark is the absence of light.